Friday 22 February 2013

Week Six: What inspires me?


I think inspiration depends upon my current mood, and what I’m thinking about at the time when that inspiration strikes.

For example, if I was feeling depressed, a story about a happy teenage couple falling into hilarious situations wouldn't appeal to me. But if I was in a more positive mood, the idea would be more appetizing (OK, probably not even then, but I needed an example).

And if I was thinking about something at the time which could connect with the idea and help it along, then I’d be more likely to write about it.

My inspiration can also take the form of genres; more specifically, I get inspired by the current genre I’m into. Say, if I was watching a lot of sci-fi movies, I’d be inspired to write something in that genre, rather than a romance or a historical novel – unless I somehow incorporate either of those into the sci-fi, which is getting into a whole other crazier part of inspiration.

Sometimes I get inspired by my dreams. An image or a scene in one dream which I remember could find its way into one of my stories, or lead to a story all on its own in creating perhaps a weird and wonderful world to work from.

Or I just get a random thought, linked to nothing and not related to anything.

I guess inspiration is just random like that, and it’s our job as writers not to question them; just to take advantage of them. 

3 comments:

  1. I had never considered being inspired by dreams, but its perfectly viable and something we should all, as writers, take advantage of more. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and easy to relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyable and I had chosen same subject to discuss and could relate to all your points

    ReplyDelete