Thursday 31 January 2013

Week Three: Not my best work, but still...


With uni over for good, I found myself walking to the train station instead of the bus stop.

One ticket to Gatwick.

I pulled along the heavy suitcase which I’d brought with me in advance. As I sat myself in an empty seat on the train I called up a travel agent to arrange my last minute room. I go to the loo so I can give my credit card details without anyone listening.

He says the next flight is in three hours and there’s room. I tell him I’ll get my ticket at the airport.

It’s busy, but everyone’s leaving on beach holidays. I get my ticket and hand over my suitcase.

I buy a new water bottle after security, and then I wait. My flight is called, and I board. First class.

I put my headphones in so I don’t have to talk to anybody. My phone is already off to ignore my family inquiring about me; trying to talk me out of my decision.

Nine hours later the plane lands.

After retrieving my suitcase I flag down a taxi. Then off to the hotel. The driver asks too many questions, and I don’t reply. Headphones again.

I arrive, I check in – more questions – I unpack, and then I turn in. I want an early night.

I wake up early the next morning and catch the metro. When I get off, I take in a deep breath with a smile on my face.

Walt Disney World. At last. 



5 comments:

  1. It might be your best work in your own opinion, but i felt it was pretty good. Didn't expect the ending, although i agree entirely with the choice f setting! Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the little details like going to the train loo so you wouldn't be overheard on the phone and buying water after security; they gave the feeling of realism and the semi-planned nature of the trip.

    Also: Disney World. *squee*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this, you kept me wanting to read it because I wanted to see where you ended up. I was not disappointed, Disney World is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I wrote about going to Disney World for mine! Intriguing and unexpected, liked it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha - really unexpected turn out there! I really enjoyed it. Not so keen on the tense though - it seemed at first to be past tense, and then went to present, and I felt like that made the writing a little more stiff, though it did mean you could use more punchy humour at times - like 'headphones again'.

    ReplyDelete