Monday 14 January 2013

Week One: Negotiating with the Dead


I first decided to have my try at writing one lonely day when I was searching the internet and came across the FanFiction site.

Before then, the creative part of me always jumped on any opportunity to express itself, be it through art or writing or building things. But it was when I started reading other stories and thought ‘I could do that’ did I realize that writing was the way to go.

It wasn't long before I realized that I couldn't just write any old crap. A flame made me realize that I needed to work on my writing, like keeping the character’s personalities consistent, creating a believable plot and so on. Even though I loved the stories I was writing – they were mine and mine alone – I realized that I wanted other people to like them, too. So I analysed other people’s work, looked up writing websites and books, and began to get the picture. 

As I wrote, I found myself writing about specific things; interesting as it is, I found myself drawing away from looking at episteme, as that requires research and a lot of knowledge about the time period in question. And I’m a lazy person. But I like to challenge different ideologies of today, like trend setting and morally questionable things, and I also like to look at the collective unconscious; in other words, our natural reactions to things.

For me, writing is my collective unconscious, because if I hadn't discovered it, I don’t know where I’d be in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment